Providing you the information you need to ensure your computer hardware, software, and operating system meet the minimum requirements for your specific QuickBooks® software.
System Requirements for QuickBooks® Software
QuickBooks® Pro/Premier 2020 & Enterprise 20.0
- Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 8.1 (Update 1), all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows 7 SP1, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed (only supported until January 2020)
- Windows Server 2019, and Essentials
- Windows Server 2016, and Essentials
- Windows Server 2012 R2, and Essentials
- Windows Server 2012, and Essentials
- Windows Small Business Server 2011, Standardand Essentials
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (only supported until January 2020)
Note: QuickBooks requires you to use Windows natively and not through an emulator or virtual environment.
Internet Explorer 11 (32-bit)
Hardware and Operating System Requirements (Client and Server):
Processor: 2.4 GHz minimum
RAM: 4GB minimum, 8GB Recommended
Server RAM Requirements:
- 1-5 Users: 8GB RAM
- 10 Users: 12GB RAM
- 15 Users: 16GB RAM
- 20 Users: 20+GB RAM
- US version of Windows (if using US QuickBooks software), Canadian version of Windows (if using Canadian QuickBooks software)
- Regional settings are supported when set to English (United States/Canada) with keyboard setting to US/CA only
- Administrator rights required for the server computer when hosting Multi-User access
- Natively installed – means its was installed on a particular system or environment that it was designed for. This also means it doesn’t need to run in a virtual environment or emulation software.
Optical Drive: 4X DVD-ROM drive required for CD installations (unless QuickBooks is downloaded from Intuit server)
- Display optimized for 1280 x 1024 screen resolution or higher with up to 2 Extended monitors
- Best optimized for Default DPI setting for a given computer.
Firewall and Antivirus Software Compatibility:
We tested QuickBooks Pro 2020, Premier 2020, and Enterprise 20.0 with the following firewall and antivirus programs.
Note: In some cases, you may need to adjust some settings in these programs to get the best possible QuickBooks performance.
- Windows Server Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 Firewall (all editions)
- Windows 7 Firewall (all editions)
- Microsoft Security Essentials
Note: QuickBooks will work with systems running RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) but this is not recommended because it may cause QuickBooks to operate slowly.
QuickBooks Desktop 2020 requires internet security protocol TLS 1.2 for the connected services to work smoothly.
Windows: Windows Server 2019, and Essentials, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Essentials, Windows Server 2011, Standard and Essentials, Windows 10, or Windows 8.1 (update 1), natively installed.
Linux: When using QBES Database Server-only installation – OpenSuse 42.3, Fedora 29, Red Hat Enterprise 7 (RHEL 7.4)
1 Natively Installed: Installed on a particular system or environment that it was designed for. This also means that it doesn’t need to run in a virtual environment or emulation software.
- 2.5GB of disk space (additional required for data files)
- Additional software: 60MB for Microsoft .NET 4.6 Runtime, provided on the QuickBooks CD
- Additional requirements for Intuit Data Protect in QuickBooks Connected Services offerings (applies to US only)
- Require minimum 4.0GB RAM
- Twice the size of the largest file set to back up + 100MB or twice the size to restore. The space is only required from the work folder LocalApplicationData+”IntuitIntuit Data Protect”
Note: Storing a large .QBW data file on an SSD will greatly speed up performance and is encouraged.
You can integrate QuickBooks with hundreds of other apps. Below is a list of the most common apps you can use. To find more, go to the Intuit App Store.
Note: Additional RAM can enhance the use of these features.
- Microsoft Office:
- Office 2019 (Compatible with R3 and later)
- Office 2016 (including Outlook 2016) both on 32 and 64-bit.
- Office 2010 SP2, Office 2013 and 365 (including Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013) both on 32 and 64 bit.Note: Office 365 is only supported when it is locally installed, not the web version.
- Email Estimates, Invoices and other forms with Microsoft Outlook 2010-2016, Microsoft Outlook with Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo! Mail and Outlook.com, other SMTP-supporting e-mail clients.
- Preparing letters requires Microsoft Word 2016, 2013, or 2010 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Exporting reports requires Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010 SP2 or Office 365 (includes 64-bit).
- Contact Synchronization with Microsoft Outlook requires Outlook 2010 (32-bit).
- Synchronization with Outlook requires QuickBooks Contact Sync for Outlook (the download is available at no charge).Note: Contact Sync does not work with the Microsoft Business Contact Manager Outlook plug-in. Syncing could cause duplicate records.
- QuickBooks Point of Sale V18.0 and V12.0
- TurboTax 2019, 2018 (Personal and Business)
- Lacerte 2019, 2018
- Pro-Series tax years 2018-2020
- Quicken 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
- QuickBooks for Mac 2020, 2019, 2016
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: Business Planner, Payroll and viewing forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 or later.
- Payroll and other online features and services require Internet access with at least a 56 Kbps connection speed (1 Mbps recommended). DSL or cable modem is recommended.
- Gmail, Yahoo Email, Windows Mail, Hotmail and AOL (i.e Mozilla Thunderbird Email Client*).Note: *Supports plain text version in Mozilla.
- Internet Explorer 11
Minimum System Requirements:
- At least 4GB of Ram (8 GB recommended) for a single workstation installation.
- 1 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files).
- Single user: 2.0 GHz processor (2.8 GHz recommended).
- Multiple users: 2.8 GHz processor (3.5 GHz recommended).
- Display: Optimized for 1280×768 screen resolution or higher.
- 4X DVD ROM drive required for DVD installations (unless user is downloading QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale from Intuit Server).
Multi-core processor and 8 GB of RAM are recommended for better performance on the Point of Sale server workstation. In a multi-user configuration, each workstation concurrently running Point of Sale must have a separately purchased user license, and every copy of Point of Sale must be the same version and level.
QuickBooks Desktop Compatibility:
- Intuit QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2017-2020
- Enterprise Solutions Versions 17.0-20.0.
Products have been tested with the following software:
- McAfee Internet Security Suite
- Symantec Norton® Internet Security Suite
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Data import/export and Microsoft Office integration requires:
Microsoft Office 2010, 2013, 2016, or Office 365.
QuickBooks Payments Account: (sold separately)
Optional fee-based service, additional terms and conditions apply.
Requires a QuickBooks Payments account through Intuit Payment Solutions. Application approval and fees apply.
PIN pad required for credit and debit transactions, sold separately.
Internet connection required.
System Configuration Notes:
Disk space requirements do not include company data files. If your company data file is very large or includes item pictures you may need more disk space.
In order to run several applications simultaneously, your system should have a multi-core processor and at least 4GB of RAM. Point of sale will run on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors running Windows. However, not all hardware devices will install and operate on 64-bit operating systems. We recommend that you contact the device manufacturers for more information about installing their hardware devices on 64-bit operating systems.
QuickBooks® for Mac 20.0 (US Only)
Minimum System Requirements:
- At least macOS 10.14 (Sierra); supported by macOS 10.14 (High Sierra), macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
- Intel processor, Core 2 Duo or higher
- Multiuser Server: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher processor to run server
- 2 GB RAM (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 250 MB of available disk space
- CD/DVD drive or Internet connection for downloaded installation
- Printer: 100% Macintosh-compatible printer, if you plan to print invoices, checks, deposit slips, lists, purchase orders, mailing labels, reports, or graphs
- Checks: Use Intuit Checks if you plan to print checks. Canadian Image Ready Cheques are not supported
- Product registration required
- Export report data requires Apple Numbers v3.5; Microsoft Excel 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- E-mail requires Apple Mail, Microsoft Outlook 2016 or later, including Mac Office 365.
- Accepting credit and debit cards directly into QuickBooks 2019 for Mac requires Intuit Merchant Service for QuickBooks for Mac (sold separately); subject to application approval and debit card transactions are processed as Signature Debit, which does not require entering a PIN code. See Intuit QuickBooks Payments for details.
- Processing payroll, integrated with QuickBooks for Mac, requires paid subscription (sold separately), EIN and Internet access. QuickBooks for Mac works with Intuit QuickBooks Payroll for Mac, Intuit Full Service Payroll and Top Pay from Aatrix.
- Note: Payroll for Mac requires Internet connection. Printing checks and forms require Adobe Reader. Additional fees may apply,
- Top Pay may differ from QuickBooks Payroll. For details, visit the company websites at www.macpayroll.com and www.aatrix.com
- Mac apps: You can sync QuickBooks for Mac with Apple’s Calendar, Messages, and Contacts.
- File Conversion – QuickBooks for Mac 2020 supports
- One-way conversion to QuickBooks Online
- One-way conversion from QuickBooks for Windows 2016 to 2018
- Two-way conversion from and to QuickBooks Desktop 2020
- If the product requirements above don’t specifically state an operating system, hardware, software, firewall or antivirus is supported, it hasn’t been tested. Intuit can’t promise your experience will be trouble-free.
- If you experience problems outside of the supported environment, technical support will be limited to standard troubleshooting. If unresolved, the program should be returned to a supported environment for additional support.
- If Microsoft/Apple no longer supports the aforementioned products, then neither shall Intuit.